About Centre for Social Research
The Centre for Social Research (CSR) was established as an independent research centre by consultants from Makerere University to conduct fundamental and practical research on a number of multidisciplinary issues in a bid to generate new thoughts and knowledge. Additionally, it was founded to continue providing consultancy services to various clients after Makerere Institute for Social Research (MISR) changed its research agenda. CSR has eminent Board members led by the former Director of MISR, Professor Nakanyike Musisi. The research team mainly comprises consultants who earlier provided consulting services to the Royal Netherlands Embassy, Ministry of Education and Sports, Hewlett Foundation, Ford Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, and the World Bank.
The main objectives of the Centre are:
• Providing quality consultancy services
• Conducting social survey studies on various social, economic and political issues
• Creating a database of social surveys conducted by the Centre for Social Research and by other research centres;
• Organising and conducting conferences, seminars, workshops on national, regional and international levels;
• Publishing monographs, research papers, articles, etc
• Providing internship opportunities for young promising university students
• Providing voluntary services for the youth across the country
• Organising training programmes overseas as well as establishing joint research projects with local and foreign research centres
The Mission of CSR is to offer quality assured consulting services (technical assistance, research and training services) to governments, Civil Society Organizations, private sector and international development partners to support the planning and implementation of effective responses towards social development challenges.
To become a leading social research institution in East Africa